VACANCY NOTICE V/AD/ICT/1/2022
The European University Institute (EUI), based in Florence, Italy, is organizing a selection procedure based on qualifications and tests in order to constitute a reserve list for the post of WEB DEVELOPER (Post of contract agent, type 3a, FG III 08 ) Within the Information and Communication Technology Department
Who we are
the European University Institute (EUI) in one look :
- an international organization created in 1972;
- a research university focusing exclusively on post-graduate, doctoral and post-doctoral studies, and advanced research;
- located in the hills above the city of Florence, Italy.
The Institute also houses the Historical Archives of the European Union.
Learn more about our institution: https://www.eui.eu/About
The mission of Information and Communication Technology Service (ICT Service) is to provide information technology (IT) resources for the work and activities of UIE. It is committed to providing quality customer service and technical solutions in the academic and administrative environment of the EUI community.
To accomplish its mission, the ICT department provides IT services and support to ensure that all users of the EUI have access to information through a reliable, fast, campus-wide system that is fully integrated with the world of external information; ensures that EUI staff and researchers are able to maximize their use of available technology; and develops and implements a planning process to identify the necessary IT resources (hardware, software, personnel, services) to achieve the objectives of the EUI.
The Web Unit manages the Institute’s web communication strategy and coordinates the EUI Web Working Group. The unit is responsible for the digital content strategy of the EUI, to ensure that all the different needs and priorities are effectively merged into a modern, secure, fast and fully functional online presence, oriented towards the main objectives of the EUI set by the President and the General Directorate of the EUI.
the School of Transnational Governance (STG) trains tomorrow’s leaders in the concepts, methods and practices of governance beyond the state. It offers political leadership fellowships, executive training, and high-level policy dialogues on issues concerning governance beyond the state. The School launched a new master’s program in transnational governance in 2020.
Your main responsibilities
Under the supervision of the Web Communication Manager, the Web Developer will support the School of Transnational Governance (STG) on all web-related issues.
The Web Developer will support the ICT Web Unit in the implementation and management of web products with a particular focus on the configuration and maintenance of digital applications used by the STG, in accordance with EUI protocols and rules.
They will directly collect requests from STG teams and implement solutions based on centralized systems and/or new technologies.
The main tasks include the following:
- Represent the STG in decision-making processes at the central ICT level and, as appropriate, the STG and EUI externally, on web-related issues;
- Internally coordinate and liaise systematically with the ICT Web Unit and the Web Working Group;
- Discuss the development of new digital products and projects with users inside and outside the STG;
- Offer coaching and training sessions on digital issues to STG academic and administrative staff;
- Provide information and best practices for the use of digital communication tools, where applicable.
- Be a subject matter expert for the implementation of the UIE web communication strategy guidelines;
- Have hands-on experience in bug fixing, code review and problem solving.
- Regularly provide insights, statistics and data allowing the management of the STG to write strategic documents (project reports, annual reports, self-assessments, etc.) in terms of digital services;
- Contribute to internal working groups aimed at further developing STG and Institute workflows, strategy and objectives;
- Regular writing of user-friendly documentation and guidance for digital applications.
Level of autonomy and responsibility
- Reporting directly to the Web Communication Manager, and working in close collaboration with the STG Communications and Marketing teams;
- High level of autonomy, responsible for own work.
Role in administrative processes
- Contribute to the technical development and maintenance of STG websites;
- Liaise with the administrative staff of the STG and provide support for procedures related to digital services;
- Contribute to the improvement of STG workflows and administrative processes through web-related services;
- Contribute to the development of the Institute’s digital services, ensuring compliance with the EUI’s data protection policy and regulations, incl. on cybersecurity.
Finance and Purchasing Responsibility
- Provide advice and support for the purchase of digital related services;
- Ask for commitments.
Your key skills
All EUI staff members share the following competencies:
- Ethics and Integrity
- Work in a multicultural environment
- Delivering quality and results
Unit and role specific skills include the following:
- Orientation of stakeholders
- Problem solving
- Change management
- Creativity and innovation
The skills mentioned above can be assessed at the written test and/or interview stage.
What we offer
- A role in an inspiring community of young researchers with an exclusive focus on masters, doctoral and post-doctoral studies;
- A truly multicultural community of 1100 academics at all career stages and support staff of approximately 85 different nationalities;
- Commitment to a true culture of equality, diversity and inclusion, and to attracting, encouraging and retaining a diverse and highly skilled workforce;
- A world-class research library, the Historical Archives of the European Union and many other excellent research facilities;
- Language courses and soft skills training opportunities;
- Access to all EUI facilities: library, crèche, cafeteria, gym, participation in seminars and workshops;
- Competitive compensation including health and pension plan;
- A healthy work-life balance in a family environment.
Learn more about the work and life of EUI support staff.
How to register
Applications must be submitted electronically using the online application form V/AD/ICT/1/2022 available at: https://www.eui.eu/About/JobOpportunities/Open-competitions -for-administrative-posts
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS: TUESDAY 26 APRIL 2022 aat 11:59 p.m. CEST
Before completing the online application form, you are invited to read APPENDICES I & II which form an integral part of this vacancy notice.
Annex I – Eligibility and selection criteria
On the closing date for online applications, you must meet all the following general and specific conditions:
1. General conditions
- Be a national of a Member State of the European Union;
- Benefiting from the fullness of his civic rights attested by a recent extract from the criminal record and/or a certificate of good conduct proving the absence of a previous conviction for a criminal or administrative offense that could call into question his ability to perform the duties of the position ;
- Have fulfilled all the obligations imposed by the laws on military service;
- Be physically fit to perform the duties.
2. Special conditions
- Post-secondary education attested by a diploma, or
- a level of secondary education attested by a diploma giving access to higher education, and appropriate professional experience of at least three years. This professional experience will be considered as part of the educational qualification and will not be taken into account in the number of professional experiences required under 2.2.
At the deadline for submitting applications, and in addition to the qualifications required above, applicants must have at least three years of relevant professional experience acquired after obtaining the diploma required in point 2.1.
The knowledge of languages
- Main language: have a thorough knowledge of an official language of the European Union; and
- Second language: a satisfactory knowledge of another official language of the European Union to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties.
Applications that meet the above eligibility criteria will be assessed against the following requirements:
- Demonstrated excellent knowledge of CMS (content management systems), such as WordPress or .NET-based products such as Contensis, acquired through work experience or training;
- Proven hands-on experience with one or more online digital tools, such as web information systems, performance optimization tools (e.g. CDN and caching), web analytics (e.g. Google Analytics) and digital services for academics (e.g. research repositories);
- Proven experience with RESTful APIs and related tools (e.g. version control systems like Git), or direct experience with web design standards (W3C), markup language (HTML 5), and sheet language styling (CSS 3);
- Excellent knowledge of English, both spoken and written (CEFR level: C1 or higher).
- Demonstrated knowledge of cybersecurity best practices for digital communication tools, gained through work experience or training;
- Strong attitude towards collaboration with a deep understanding of user-centric digital solutions and experience with Lean or Agile methodologies;
- Proven experience in the field of database administration (eg Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL).
Candidates invited to the test and interview phase may also be assessed against the skills listed under “Your key skills” on page 3.
Don’t forget to mention that you found this job offer on the EURACTIV website!