About King’s Online
King’s Online is part of the new School of Professional and Continuing Education, it was established in 2015 and is developing a range of fully online courses and programs. Following the appointment of a new director, the team is embarking on an ambitious growth strategy and this is one of many new roles announced. You will join us at an exciting time as we seek to redefine online education and realize King’s strategic ambition to be the leading provider of online and blended learning by 2029.
The role is primarily based at the King’s Strand campus, although you may be required to travel to other campuses on occasion. As part of King’s hybrid work trial, all team members can work remotely for part of the week if they choose.
About the role
The King’s Online web development team works primarily on our learning platform, supporting a modular design for online programs and courses in Moodle. The system builds on the existing bootstrap based theme which is anchored in the platform and is made up of styles, components and templates. Content publishers use these components and templates to create online courses and course content.
With mentorship, support and direction from the development team, you will improve and maintain our modular design system in accordance with UX transfer and accessibility requirements, and write clear and concise documentation to support its use.
You will also help the team provide technical and process support to King’s Online and the wider university as the design system is rolled out to others in the university. With both great technical skills and great communication skills, you will help our team create the best possible e-learning product for our students.
This position will be offered on a permanent contract.
This is a full time position
- Manage and lead a small team of enthusiastic developers. Identify and manage their performance, training and development needs, and help define their work.
- Lead the feature development and maintenance of our design system for the Virtual Learning Environment (VLE), following user research provided by our UX team
- Support the development team in producing smart and effective solutions to technology problems, including exploring ideas for innovative project solutions that effectively leverage technology (e.g. APIs and queries, selection and effective use of frameworks)
- Own the management and updating of quality guidelines and coding standards. And in turn, mentor junior members to ensure they adhere to quality standards.
- Engage in open source development projects and represent King’s College London, as well as King’s Online in the communities around them
- Promote a culture where accessibility and technological sustainability are integrated into all stages of the development process
- Provide expert support, administration and advice on the use of digital learning technologies, including identifying challenges, implementing effective solutions and providing appropriate pedagogical and technical advice
- Facilitate effective communication between your team and the rest of King’s Online, such as UX designers, project managers, and instructional designers
- Represent King’s Online and OPEE in the wider university by running workshops, attending meetings and participating in working groups
The above list of responsibilities may not be exhaustive and the post holder will be required to undertake the duties and responsibilities reasonably expected within the scope and classification of the position.
Skills, knowledge and experience
- Experience in line management or directing, mentoring and supporting others in a professional setting
- Advanced understanding of Moodle LMS or similar virtual learning environment and other digital learning technologies
- Experience using front-end frameworks (e.g. Bootstrap, React) and preprocessors (e.g. Sass)
- Experience with distributed version control systems (Git) as well as Webpack, Gulp or Grunt
- Expertise with PHP
- Ability to communicate technical information to non-technical stakeholders
- Ability to work in an Agile environment and use supporting digital tools such as Slack and Azure Boards/Jira
- Experience in developing content creation solutions, such as design systems, CMS, or API-driven content delivery
- Demonstrated commitment to diversity and inclusion
1. Understanding of development for cloud hosting, especially Azure
2. Understanding accessibility standards and testing
3. Knowledge and experience of Agile Scrum development methodologies