VTDigger is a nationally recognized non-profit digital news organization. We are known for our award-winning investigative reporting and in-depth daily coverage of local and national news. Our mission is to produce rigorous journalism that explains complex issues, holds government accountable to the public, and engages Vermonters in the democratic process.
At a time when the local commercial news industry is struggling, VTDigger is one of a handful of nonprofit news organizations that have developed a sustainable funding model for local journalism. The organization has grown rapidly in just a decade, becoming the state’s go-to source for information — with an average of 600,000 unique readers per month and 33 employees. To learn more about how VTDigger became Vermont’s largest information operation, click here.
We are looking for a Full-Stack Web Developer to join VTDigger’s growing technology team. The role is to develop, maintain and expand the technologies that power our nonprofit digital journalism, including the tools on our website, our email newsletter products, a native app and emerging platforms, as well as our business systems integrations. You will report to our Chief Product Officer and work closely with our Creative Director, as well as the revenue and editorial teams as required.
The ideal candidate has experience working with a wide variety of digital technologies, a passion for journalism and nonprofit media, and a desire to help grow VTDigger’s technology stack and toolset. The role is on the one hand the routine maintenance, improvement and performance optimization of our existing product suite, and on the other hand the development of new reporting products and news tools.
We’re looking for someone who cares deeply about the audience, takes reader feedback seriously, and takes pride in developing high-performing tools that scale and are fun to use.
We are happy to consider remote candidates for this position.
- 3+ years of back-end programming experience with WordPress (plugin development and API integration a plus), including php and mysql development.
- Excellent knowledge of HTML/CSS, including knowledge of CSS preprocessors.
- Experience with modern web development, especially version control and package management tools.
- Experience working in a local development environment using virtual machines/containers.
- Experience building, implementing and using RESTful APIs.
- Understanding of accessible web development practices
- Familiarity with Google Analytics, Tag Manager and AdManager or other common third-party analytics tools.
- Familiarity with New Relic, SEMRush, Lighthouse and other performance monitoring/enhancing tools.
- Familiarity with API calls to Stripe, Salesforce, Mailchimp or Paypal.
- Familiarity with press/publishing/media organizations.
How to register: Please answer the following questions and upload a resume using this form.
Please note: We recognize that there are excellent candidates who may not fit the description above or who have important skills and backgrounds that we have not thought of. If this sounds like you, please apply and tell us more about yourself. VTDigger is committed to constantly improving our organization, in part by better reflecting the communities we serve. We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace for people of all ages and backgrounds. We especially encourage members of communities traditionally underrepresented in media to apply to join our team, including people of color, women, LGBTQ people, and people with disabilities.